1. Try to understand what's actually happening instead of acting on the _______ you've made.
A. assignment B. association
C. acquisition D. assumption
2. At first Robert wouldn't let his daughter go diving, but eventually he _______ as she was so confident about her skills.
A. gave in B. dressed up
C. broke in D. turned up
3. Hopefully in 2025 we will no longer be e-mailing each other, for we _______ more convenient electronic communication tools by then.
A. have developed B. had developed
C. will have developed D. developed
4. _______ was most important to her, she told me, was her family.
A. It B. This C. What D. As
5. Ordinary soap, _______ correctly, can deal with bacteria effectively.
A. used B. to use C. using D. use
6. I can't find my purse. I _______ it in the supermarket yesterday, but I'm not sure.
A. should leave B. must have left
C. might leave D. could have left
7. Living in the desert involves a lot of problems, _______ water shortage is the worst.
A. not to mention B. of which
C. let alone D. for what
8. Unless some extra money _______ , the theatre will be close.
A. was found B. finds C. is found D. found
9. After I heard that I took a deferred pass in chemistry, I was in a _______ emotional state.
A.greatly B. highly C.doubtfully D. nervously
10. ﹣What happened? Your boss seems to ______ .
﹣Didn't you know his secretary leaked the secret report to the press?
A. be over the moon B. laugh his head off
C. be all ears D. fly off the handle
11. –Shall we go for a drink at one o’clock this afternoon?
–_______ . Will two o’clock be OK?
A. Sure, it’s up to you B. Sure, no problem
C. Sorry, I can’t make it D. Sorry, I’m not available today
12. Human behaviour is mostly a product of learning, _______ the behavior of an animal depends mainly on instinct.
A. otherwise B. whereas C. unless D. nevertheless
13. _______ before we depart the day after tomorrow, we should have a wonderful dinner party.
A. Had they arrived B. Would they arrive
C. Were they arriving D. Were they to arrive
14. The _______ that there is life on other planets in the universe has always inspired scientists to explore the outer space.
A. advice B. order C. possibility D. invitation
15. ______ used narrative verse or prose to sing knightly adventures or other heroic deeds.
A. Sonnet B. Romance C. Novel D. drama
I was riding my son s scooter home from the library while he was accompanying me on his bicycle. I was wearing a heavy backpack full of books which I __16__ .Suddenly the scooter hit a rock and I was __17__ from it and landed flat on my face onto the road. My concerned son, who was eight years old, __18__ to my side to help me and __19__ stood next to me holding both his bike and the scooter as I tried to get up.
I then realized that my front tooth was lying on the sidewalk beside me! Not wanting to __20__
my son, I tried to get up and __21__ him that I was OK. As I tried to stand, my head was spinning
and I felt terrible, __22__ I bent down and put my head between my knees. Cars were speeding
past us on the main road, unaware of my little drama.
As I was sitting on the road an old gentleman came up to us and __23__ asked if I was OK and if he could do anything to help. I used his cell phone to call my husband to drive over and __24__ us up and told the gentleman I was really __25__ for his help. He walked off, but I could see him watching us from a distance to see that we were really OK. Since I was still shaken up by the __26__ when my husband came, I did not have the __27__ to ask for the gentleman's name of address. __28__ , I simply thought of him as the __29__ “good man”.
So, the __30__ kind stranger-- THANK YOU! I will do my best to pay your kindness forward to others.
16. A. lent B. borrowed C. sold D. bought
17. A. thrown B. pushed C. prevented D. freed
18. A. contributed B. pointed C. referred D. rushed
19. A. gradually B. strangely C. bravely D. merrily
20. A. frighten B. excite C. surprise D. disappoint
21. A. remind B. encourage C. persuade D. praise
22. A. but B. or C. if D. so
23.A. finally B. repeatedly C. firstly D. simply
24. A. take B. get C. pick D. shake
25. A. responsible B. grateful C. sorry D. polite
26.A. accident B. distance C. gentleman D. mistake
27.A. encourage B. desire C. thought D. patience
28. A. Indeed B. Otherwise C. Besides D. Afterwards
29. A. thankful B. real C. famous D. satisfied
30.A. nameless B. homeless C. strong D. courageous
It is simple enough to say that since books have classes fiction, biography, poetry—we should separate them and take from each what it is right that each should give us. Yet few people ask from books what books can give us. Most commonly we come to books with blurred and divided minds, asking of fiction that it shall be true, of poetry that it shall be false, of biography that it shall be flattering, of history that it shall enforce our own prejudices. If we could banish all such preconception when we read, that would be an admirable beginning. Do not dictate to your author; try to become him. Be his fellow worker and accomplice(同谋). If you hang back, and reserve and criticize at first, you are preventing yourself from getting the fullest possible value from what you read. But if you open your mind as widely as possible, then signs and hints of almost imperceptible finess(委婉之处), from the twist and turn of the first sentences, will bring you into the presence of a human being unlike any other. Steep yourself in this, acquaint yourself with this, and soon you will find that your author is giving you, or attempting to give you, something far more definite. The thirty two chapters of anovel—if we consider how to read a novel first—are an attempt to make something as formed and controlled as a building but words are more impalpable than bricks, reading is a longer and more complicated process than seeing. Perhaps the quickest way to understand the elements of what a novelist is doing is not to read, but to write; to make your own experiment with the dangers and difficulties of words. Recall, then, some event that has left a distinct impression on you—how at the corner of the street, perhaps, you passed two people talking. A tree shook; an electric light danced; the tone of the talk was comic, but also tragic; a whole vision, an entire conception, seemed contained in that moment.
帥氣ヾ萢萢 :郭西平老师，我进面试了 !
青岛学员 纪鸿飞: 杨红艳老师，我是参加七月二号至四号青岛华图辅导班的纪鸿飞，我被录取了，向您表示感谢，您辛苦了！